Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lil' Ones

I saw my first delivery last night. Talk about amazing! I think I'm going to give babies a little more slack from now on, for all the crying they do. These little guys are so traumatized when they're first born. Talk about trust issues. I can totally understand if they don't trust "big people" to care for them properly. So here's the scenario: he's born and instantly dad cuts the umbilical cord. My charge nurse and I put him on a table and begin wiping all the vernix (white lotion-like stuff) from the uterus off of him. After that, I had to ram a tube down his throat to suction out the fluid he'd aspirated while in utero. Daddy had cut the cord a little too long so I got to cut the rest off on the outside of the clip. Then we palpate the skull, do our entire inspection (basically stretch his limbs all over the place) to make sure nothing's abnormal and then shove a thermometer in his butt. When we're finished measuring him, weighing him and inspecting him, he gets to go to mommy for a little while until we go back in and take him to the nursery. Once in the nursery, I gave a big shot (vit. K and Heb. B vaccination) in each leg, erythromycin 0intment in each eye, a blood glucose slice on the heel, dye on the cord and eventually a bath. Talk about traumatic.
Now, of course all of these procedures are done in the best interest of the child. But, I'd say their first 5-10 experiences in the world are not easy....so mothers out there Be Kind and patient with your little ones when they're fussing. Remember they earned their right of passage and have justification to be cranky sometimes....Oh and remind me of this story when I'm a mother!!!

2 comments:

the mathisons said...

yikes! I am glad we only have to go through that once in life. And we mothers get all the attention when it comes to talking about the whole birthing process. If the babies could talk (in our language instead of the typical cry) they would say "hold on a minute! At least you had an epi!". I look forward to seeing you as a mom... you are going to be a great one! I loved how Reese took to you... and it was almost instantly!

Rob Sabin said...

Hey Kristi,
You are looking happy. Long time no chat. We recently went through the birth saga in May. We are now a family of 4. We got one of each. Levi is now 3 and Rebecca is 8 months. They are a real blessing.
You can check out our blog site. A lot has changed for us too. We are now in the middle of Iowa and Rob is the senior pastor at the First Cov church here.
Hope life continues to treat you well!!