Josh and I in front of St. Peter's
We snuck this picture in the Sistine Chapel. I'm sure you can recognize Michelangelo's famous Creation of Adam fresco in the center.
Inside the museum
Old sculpture, young lady!
Rome was more than I bargained for. The history was so rich that one day was hardly enough time to capture it all. Unfortunately that was all we allotted for the city so we managed to see the top 5 highlights according to our ever faithful Lonely Planet. The day began with a 10 minute metro ride straight to the Sistine Chapel and The Vatican Museum. We spent 3 or so hours working our way through the museum admiring the antiquity of the many artifacts found there. And when I say antiquity, I'm talking "old stuff". It was amazing to see how intelligent, talented, and resourceful our predecessors were. We then worked our way over to St. Peter's Basilica. Apparently the body of the apostle Peter was buried here. The basilica itself was ENORMOUS! It had taken approximately 150 years to build and it was beautiful for sure, but we did find ourselves asking why so much time and effort had gone into this building which is now used primarily if only for a tourist destination. After the basilica, Josh led the way to the Colosseum, which was overwhelming! I'll let Josh describe that in a future post...
For more on information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_of_Adam

No comments:
Post a Comment